The Guardian of the First Flame is a huge golem which appears to be made out of crystallized rock. It carries a large sword in its right hand and a large shield in its left hand. It has a huge main body supported by a small lower body.
The Guardian of the First Flame protects the Sacred Flame in the Cave of Origin. It is a test which anyone who wishes to become the Flamebearer must surpass. Ophilia, performing the kindling in Lianna's stead, must defeat the guardian in order to take Aelfric's Lanthorn.
At 50% health, the Guardian of the First Flame can summon up to 3 Dark Wisps.
- Sweep: Physical attack, targets entire party.
- Pyre: Fire elemental damage to a single target.
- The Sacred Flame gains in strength...!:The Guardian enters Boost mode and will use Flame of the Heavens next turn unless its shields are broken beforehand.
- Flame of the Heavens: Fire elemental damage to entire party.
- The Trial Begins / Prove your strength to the guardian!: Summons up to 3 Dark Wisps (depending on how many party members have been brought to battle). The Guardian of the First Flame will wait a minimum of 1 turn before summoning more.
After reaching 50% Max. HP, the Guardian of the First Flame can summon Dark Wisps to aid it.
Each wisp will not attack directly, instead, each will slowly count down from 3. The counter is independent to each wisp.
Once the timer runs out, the wisp will use 'Self-immolation:
- Self-immolation: Large physical damage to entire party.
- "Of thee who dost treaden in these halls, I aske.
Art thou fit to lighten the flames and showen the path to all humanity?" —To Ophilia
- If the Guardian of the First Flame is faced with two heroes, then his Elemental Attack will actually be lower than if he was battled with Ophilia alone.