Gareth is a character in Octopath Traveler. He is the leader of the brigand group serving under Darius and is the only one truly subservient to him. He appears as the boss in Chapter 3 of Therion's story.
Gareth wears a purple hood and trousers, while possessing a green-blue and black robe and shirt, respectively. He wears two belts strapped across his chest and waist, and wields two daggers.
Gareth shows a prideful attitude towards his position as Darius's right-hand and is genuinely loyal to him, willingly offering to stand by and sacrifice himself to challenge Therion and assert himself as such. At the end of Therion's Chapter 4, as Darius is betrayed by his own men, they tell him that Gareth was the only one who cared about Darius and wasn't only in it for the money.
|(I don't think this is where I should be going at the moment...)|
The following section contains potential story spoilers!
Gareth is Darius's right-hand man. He is shown to hold respect for Darius, referring to him as "Lord" and challenging Therion to assert his position.
When Therion follows Darius into the Black Market in pursuit of the green Dragonstone, Gareth offers to put him down for Darius's sake. However, he is defeated. He utters Darius's name with his last dying breath.
While Darius is being betrayed by his men at the end of Chapter 4, they reveal that Gareth was the only member of his brigand group not in it for the money, but rather because he was genuinely loyal to Darius.
Gareth fights alongside two master thieves.
Gareth will begin the battle with 2 actions per turn. After the Master Thieves are defeated, he will increase his actions per turn to 3.
Gareth will lock some of his weaknesses after the first break. The weaknesses that are locked will change after every break recovery.
- You can't keep up with me...: Used at the start of the battle. Gareth increases his actions per turn to two.
- Gareth assumes a defensive posture!: Used whenever Gareth recovers from a break. Gareth will seal and unlock his weaknesses, rotating them in the following order:
- Can't find good help these days...: Used only once both Master Thieves have been defeated. Gareth increases his actions per turn to three.
- Evasive Breath: Gareth gains Increased Evasion for 4 turns.
- Steal Life: Physical attack, targets entire party. Restores Gareth's HP by 50% of damage dealt.
- Steal Magic: Physical attack, single target. Drains target's SP by 50% of their maximum SP.
- Will o' Wisp: Elemental attack: . Targets entire party.
- Watch your pockets, friends...: Gareth enters boost mode for 1 turn. Uses Steal All if not broken before Gareth's next turn.
- Steal All: Disables use of items for entire party. The use of items is restored after Gareth is broken.
- "You can't keep up with me..." —Increasing turn actions
- "Can't find good help these days..." —Increasing turn actions
- "Watch your pockets, friends..." —Before using Steal All